Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Who are the "bleeding hearts and artistis" from the Wall.?

In the Trial, the schoolmaster says they were the ones that prevented him from "flay[ing] [Pink] into shape" and in Outside the Wall Roger Waters says they are the "ones who truly loved [him]." This makes no sense to me b/c it seems like nobody even showed a fondness for Pink besides his adulterous wife and groupies, and there was nobody to keep the schoolmaster from flaying him into shape. The only person I can think of that came close to being a person that loved Pink was his father, but he was specifically mentioned in Another Brick in the Wall (Pt. 1) as being "just another brick in the Wall" and in the movie he was part of the procession of people who built the Wall during the Comfortably Numb section.

Who are the "bleeding hearts and artistis" from the Wall.?
In the full context:





"I always said he'd come to no good


In the end your honor.


If they'd let me have my way I could


Have flayed him into shape.


But my hands were tied,


The bleeding hearts and artists


Let him get away with murder.


Let me hammer him today?"





This is spoken by The Schoolmaster in "The Trial".





What he is saying is "I would have beaten Pink into shape, but the bleeding hearts and artists (i.e. liberals and left-wingers, etc.) prevented me."





It can't be taken too literally - The Schoolmaster is a bit of a Nazi-type character so his perception of "bleeding hearts and artists" not supporting flaying (!) in schools is a bit warped!





Full lyrics:





http://www.pink-floyd-lyrics.com/html/th...


Full lyrics


No comments:

Post a Comment