Monday, November 16, 2009

I am wondering if anyone can advise me about when and how to divide sedum and bleeding heart plants?

Sedum is actually quite easy to divide-spring,summer and fall. To divide just break a few pieces from the mother plant and stick in the ground. They do not require a lot of attention. Bleeding hearts should be divided after blooming about every 4 or 5 years. Dig the plants up and gently pull the rhizomes apart and replant about every three feet.

I am wondering if anyone can advise me about when and how to divide sedum and bleeding heart plants?
Rule of thumb on perennial division is that it's best to divide fall blooming plants in the spring, and spring and summer blooming plants in the fall.





Here's a great educational sheet from Clemson University that makes it easy: http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1...





It will not only tell you when but how, with diagrams.





Happy Gardening!
Reply:I've never been able to grow bleeding heart, I've tried and tried. With sedum it's hard to go wrong, I don't even bother to dig it. I just grab a handful, yank it and stick it in a hole. RScott


No comments:

Post a Comment